Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Winter in Japan....

... is not much of a winter at all!



I snapped these shots this morning on my way to my origami class by the dear old lady who teaches me how to make beautiful boxes and leaping frogs, Teruko-san. I can't believe that in mid-December, it is still like fall. No snow, no nothing! In fact this weekend the weather is going to be a high of 17'C! Incredible.



After the origami lesson, I hopped on my trusty steed - my bicycle - and rode to Kodaira's oldest and biggest temple because I'd never been before. When I arrived I wasn't sure if I could just go right in, but not a soul was around, so I had the chance to wander around quietly in a beautiful garden all alone and enjoy the warm sunshine.



In the garden were carefully manicured plants, small streams, and a variety of stone statues.



I also found one particular statue, that I've seen at almost every temple I've been to, and this statue is always wearing some kind of clothes, like a bib or a hat. After a little research, I found out why.



This is Jizo, the Savior from the Torments of Hell. In Japanese Buddhism, Jizo is the guardian of stillborn, aborted and miscarried babies. While that might be sweet, there is a bit of a disturbing story behind this!

It is also believed that children who die prematurely cause so much grief to their parents that they are sent to hell. In hell, they are sent to a dried-up river where they are made to build monuments made of small pebbles to Buddha. But their work is sabotaged by a cruel demon who scatters the stones, and it is Jizo who comes to protect and help the souls by hiding the children in his sleeves. Mothers who have lost their babies often put red bibs or hats on Jizo so that Jizo may take special care of their departed child's soul.

Kind of odd, no? I mean... if I were a mother who lost my child, the last thing I'd want on my mind is the idea of my poor baby stuck in hell and being terrorized by mean demons! Rough!!!!

Anyways, time for school.

6 comments:

atrm said...

i love the second and third picture ... especially the second one brilliant

Tantie said...

Dear QTC, it is easy to get good shots when everything looks so damn interesting ;) You should complement Japan - not me - for the good photos.

Anonymous said...

Those pics of japan in the winter are pretty sweet if i do say so myaelf.

Anonymous said...

Allow me to weigh in as a professional... you are in fact taking very good pictures - improving all the time. And I'm enjoying this blog immensely. Only problem is I have to guess wen you've made an update! Send out an email from time to time. And keep up the good work!

J

Anonymous said...

yam... take props where props are due! the pics are awesome!

and p.s... the macbook? how's that working out? i need to buy a laptop

Tantie said...

Thanks Uncle J... that means a lot coming from you! Really.