Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Life in the 'burbs

So, now you've seen the madness of downtown Tokyo, but I haven't shown you the peace and quiet of life in the suburbs.



Where I live, in the western suburbs, is a really nice and peaceful area. What is good is that downtown Tokyo is so close, so it is easy to experience the big city chaos without having to live in the middle of it 24/7. I live just around the corner from a lovely little river, with a bikiing trail, close to parks and little woods, a golf range and sidewalk cafes and so forth.




In residential areas like mine, it is quite normal to find patches of veggies growing between houses, like in the picture above.

Every Wednesday, I ride my bike on the river trail, cut through the woods, take a short cut through the veggie field, and come out in a nearby town, where a lovely lady named Teruko teaches me the fine art of origami.



This is a little frog, or 'kaeru', and when you press its back for a second, it does a somersault in the air, and lands on its feet! But if you make it badly or lopsided, when it jumps, it lands on its back.



'Tsuru', or crane, which are very auspicious. In fact, the Japanese believe that if you make 1,000 origami cranes, you will get a wish granted.



This one is my favorite - it's a box made from 8 interlocking pieces of paper. Quite pretty eh!

Origami can be very simple or very, very complicated, but I can tell you that you certainly do feel quite satisfied with yourself when you can transform a simple piece of paper into something completely new!

No comments: