Thursday, November 16, 2006

Eww.

I recently had the joy of experiencing my first critter -- a black, horrid looking Japanese cockroach. I woke up one morning, climbed down from my loft, walked into the kitchen to turn on the kettle for coffee, and when I turned on the light, there it was! Sitting on a plate from last night's dinner, munching away on some crumbs.

I looked down at it, it looked up at me, and mid nibble said, 'ohayo!' which is Japanese for 'good morning'. The f*cker didn't even run away! I tried to kill it, but obviously couldn't do so without breaking the plate it was sitting on, so it got away temporarily.

Later it resurfaced, this time sitting quietly on the floor, and it came face to face with the bottom of my boot. I thought it was kind of weird that it didn't even try to escape or run for its life. A reliable source who has been here for 8 years has told me that Japanese cockroaches are surprisingly docile, and accept their death with honor, samurai-style. But now, it is dead. Thank god.

Anyways, the video link below is a real hoot, I stumbled upon it randomly today. I'd love to put the code on the blog but I'm not to keen on stealing from YouTube. So just click on the link for a truly scary video. My cockroach incident certainly cannot compare!!



Click to watch: Japanese Subway Roaches

No comments: