Thursday, July 26, 2007

One Week To Go!

Well it's official! I am now legally able to live and work in Hong Kong and soon will be a new resident of China. My visa came in the mail a few days ago, so the time has come for me to hightail my tail over to the place that will be... yet again... my 'new home'. I've got exactly one week left in Japan.

You know, all this traveling may be getting a bit excessive! I've realized that when I get to Hong Kong, I would have lived in 5 countries in 5 years! I was in Canada in 2002 at school, then back to Trinidad from 2002-2005, then to Turkey in 2005, then Japan in 2006, and now Hong Kong for 2007. This is ridiculous! Fun... but a bit ridiculous!

I am so glad my new company is taking such good care of me, even putting me up in a nice hotel for two weeks while we find an apartment. In the meantime, whenever Seiji has a day or two off in Hong Kong, he has gone to check out some new places and sent me the pictures to see.

We are most likely going to end up living in a place on Lantau Island called Discovery Bay, which is both close to the airport (for Seiji's job) and a 25-minute ferry ride to Central Hong Kong Island (for my job). This place is apparently expat heaven, with apartments that are huge compared to downtown, and at good prices. It's even got a private beach, not that I would swim in that water! Hard to believe that in the space of three months I could go from living in a shoebox in Tokyo to a 3-bedroom apartment with a seaview in Hong Kong! Amazing how things can change so fast.

And, lest we Trinidadians forget, today is also July 27th 1990, the day of the infamous Coup Attempt by the Jamaat al Muslimeen. I still remember it very clearly... I was downstairs at home, maybe 9 years old, watching TV (TTT!), when suddenly on the news these bearded men came onto the news sets with machine guns, saying they were taking over the country, with the news announcers sitting there in shock and fear. I ran upstairs to my grandmother's place where my family was relaxing and drinking, and told them, come quick! you have to see! there are men with guns on TV! But did anyone believe me? Nooo. Just ignore the poor child. Yes yes Emily, they said, that's nice. Sheesh!

Anyways, if anyone has any requests about goods, gifts or presents that they desperately want from Japan, now is the time to make requests before I ride out. What do you want? Kimono? Sword? Used Japanese Schoolgirl Panties? Send your orders now!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a kimono and some lanterns thanks! Can't believe you're leaving for your fabulous job soon Yam! I am so happy for you! Its so exciting! Next piece of good news will be in the form of a picture of a gi-NORMOUS rock on your ring finger... mu-hahahahaha!!!

Anonymous said...

oooooooooooo! Just looked at the web site... puh-lease tell me you are getting yourself a styling golf cart to ride around in on the island Yam!