Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spring Holidays -- Bye Bye Tokyo!

Well folks, things have been hectic in Tokyo these last few weeks. I went to the big interview yesterday and *think* it went well, but now the best that I can do is wait and see if they decide to hire me.

Going to the interview itself was a real mind trip -- Akasaka is one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in the world and home to the biggest and swankiest offices in all of Tokyo. I must have looked like one country bookie walking down the street looking up at these fancy places, with people all around in expensive suits and Louis Vuitton handbags and Burberry briefcases! The office that I went to has ITS OWN STARBUCKS inside the building. You know you are big when you have your own Starbucks.

Anyways, I will be off tomorrow for Hong Kong for a week and am really excited. Hong Kong really sounds like an interesting place... But this trip is really more about new jobs rather than just holiday. I have one interview at a massive international financial company with over 113,000 employees worldwide, and another interview with a magazine publishing house that has big names such as Maxim, Seventeen, and Men's Health. It is exciting, but also a little daunting trying to break into the big leagues! I sort of feel like a tiny sardine swimming with a school of killer sharks. But it will be great if one of these interviews works out, and I can finally get away from Classroom Clownery and back into the real world of work and editing. So, keep your fingers crossed for me.

In the meantime, here are some older pictures from when Bob was still here that I've been meaning to put on the blog. One day we made a major day trip to Mount Fuji and Hakone. Fuji was beautiful, but I think it is a much more impressive sight from a distance when you can see the whole thing.





After going to the 5th station of Fuji, the bus took us to Lake Ashinoko, and then to Mt Komagatake. Below is a shot of the Komagatake Cable Car that took us up to the top of this volcanic peak, but unfortunately it was so incredibly foggy we couldn't see very much at all!




A few days later we went gallavanting downtown in Harajuku and went to the famous Meiji Shrine. Because it was a Saturday, there were a number of traditional Shinto weddings taking place, and I managed to go paparazzi-style and snap some shots of the wedding party.





We also had a great day visiting the Yebisu Beer Museum, where we had a brief tour of the small gallery of the history of beer in Japan. But the main attraction of the Beer Museum is the tasting area -- for a mere 400¥ you get a tray with four glasses of four different beers. Take into account that in a popular bar, you can pay up to 900¥ for ONE beer. So this Museum was full of drunk people! It was awesome.





These two old geezers -- or 'jiji' as they are called in Japanese -- had Bob and I in stitches. They were quite pickled and kept saying, 'Handsome Papa! Beautiful daughter! She has High Quality Face!'. They kept buying us drink after drink after drink, even when we tried to say no thank you. It was like being trapped in beer heaven with no escape. Eventually the museum closed and we said goodbye, with our bellies full of beer, and our bladders begging for mercy.




I apologize for the blurriness, but let's see how stable YOUR hand is after drinking six beers!

Well that's all for now folks. Coming soon -- pictures from Hong Kong!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops - put my comment on the wrong posting! I wanted to get in touch re Hong Kong and a friend I have there who might work at that very financial company. I've sent you an email but not sure if your address has changed.

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are really nice thing if you are not understanding something completely, except this paragraph gives good understanding
yet.

my web page: take a look over here