Sunday, April 01, 2007

A World in Bloom -- Hanami at Koganei Koen

I honestly don't know if words can do it justice, but let me just say I am absolutely in awe of the sakura (cherry blossoms) in Japan.




Everyone kept telling me how marvelous the sakura season is, how beauuutiful it is, but I thought I've seen Poui trees in bloom in Trinidad, so what could be the big deal about these cherry blossoms? But seeing the Koganei Park in full, full bloom today was really a jaw-dropping sight. The flowers are so very dense and so intense, when you look up and around you see nothing but pink. No sky... no clouds... no leaves... just flowers. It is like the entire world above your head has suddenly blossomed violently, which, I suppose, is exactly what has happened.




When the sakura trees blossom, the whole of Japan heads outside to enjoy the weather and the flowers, and to reflect on the fleeting beauty of the flowers, and the fleeting beauty of our own short lives. This kind of party/festival is called 'Hanami' and is an important annual event all over the country.




Today was 24'C, so apparently all of western Tokyo had the same idea of going to Koganei and the park was swamped with blue plastic picnic blankets, overflowing with extremely happy people of all ages eating, drinking, singing, dancing, cooking, taking pictures, and simply admiring the beauty of the sakura. Plenty plenty food and drink! In fact, some people enjoyed the hanami a bit too much and had to take a nap to recover!




Bob and I planned to go to a museum today, but we were so damn relaxed at the park we ended up just parking our bikes, buying some drinks, and sitting to people watch, and take in the atmosphere. Also, at most Japanese outdoor festivals, you will find a group of musicians playing flutes and drums, wearing masks and doing traditional dances. Watch the video below to see and hear it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily - Sakura time looks really amazing I can wait to get there...hopefully it will still be as abundant. I emailed you to let you know my plans and to see if you wanted to meet up. I know your busy with your Dad but can you write me? I am arriving on the 7th April ~ Sacha

Anonymous said...

yam... how beautiful! wish i was there!!!! the drums are so sweet!

one day yam, one day!!! i am coming!