Saturday, March 03, 2007

Shop Till You Drop

Today I did what all young, hot blooded Japanese people do on a sunny 16-degree Saturday -- I went on an exhausting shopping spree! My destination today was the ultra-trendy Harajuku, the place in Tokyo considered the absolute mecca of youth culture.

Harajuku is famous for shopping, yes, but also for the 'Harajuku Girls' -- those kooky chicks who dress up in a variety of crazy costumes on the weekend and hang around by the Harajuku Station.

There are have different types of costumes: there are the Goths dressed in black with purple hair and multiple facial piercings, Lolitas dressed up like little girls, French Maids complete with aprons and frills, Schoolgirls in naughty uniforms, Sexy Nurses (sometimes also scary nurses, with blood on their uniforms), Superheros, and my personal favorite, the Anti-Goths, who wear a hell of a lot of neon colors, preferably in pinks and yellow.




Anti-Goths and a happy tourist. The baby is the best part of this picture - 'Ooooh! What's this in her hair? Let me grab it!'




Hmm.... what is she? Lolita? Semi-goth? I am not sure. What do you think?

This is the entrance to Takeshita Dori - a tiny, narrow pedestrian shopping street, insanely busy, jam packed with human traffic, and full to the brim of funky shops, quirky clothes, loud music and crepe cafes.



This is also, of course, a place full of stores selling outrageous costumes and accessories.



You too can become a Harajuku Girl!

I found some pretty funky things, but I was looking especially for some funky gifts for my dear knocked-up sister at home, particularly one of those little dangly things that you MUST have hanging from your keitai (cell phone).

But I was especially happy to find a particular item I have been looking for -- masu.



Note: I stole this picture from another website.

These are square cups for drinking sake, and may I say it is THE best way to drink sake. When you are in a restaurant, they put the masu on a small saucer, pour the sake and let it overflow onto the plate. It is meant to be a gesture of generosity. You pick it up carefully and drink from the corner of the cup. These cups are also made of wood, but the ones I bought are made of lacquer.

By evening time, my big toes were killing me as though it were Ash Wednesday, and I felt like joining this guy:



Then, it was back on the train, and home again, home again lickety split. I swear to god Tokyo is waaaaaaay too big and waaaaay too crowded on a weekend. You really do start to feel claustrophobic on the sidewalks because of the massive swarm of people surrounding you at every step. Going downtown is fun but it also makes me glad to live in the peace and quiet of the suburbs!

4 comments:

CMF said...

MIRANDA IS PREGGERS????????????????

oh wow! how brilliant!!! when is she due? how did you neglect to tell me this? how awesome!

Tantie said...

maybe if you didnt spend so much time selling your nasty skenky body on the corner every night, you would know about these things!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Emily!!! So, hopefully you remember me. I went to MLIS 97-98, moved there from Puerto Rico, and had reddish hair, oh and my name is Amy. Guess that is somewhat important! Anyway, Carla gave me the link to your blog! I must admit that I am jeolous of your travels! I am now teaching Spanish at a University in the USA. I spent last year in Spain teaching English, and I loved it! I would like to go to other countries doing the same. I'd love to hear from you sometime! My email is aclandaw@hotmail.com
Take Care
Amy

Anonymous said...

you are such a biatch! you know i only sell my body part time these days! maybe if you weren't out corrupting poor defenseless japanese men and terrorizing the masses at harajuku you'd have found some time to tell me you smelly, nasty whore! psh!

yam!

p.s... notice how on different computers my name appears??? guess it would help if i could remember my login pass word... but i'm too busy trying to convince japanese men that all trini girls are not as whorish as you are!